Thursday, December 29, 2011

An Experiment in Color & Value


I wanted to create a piece reminiscent of the old Universal Horror Films. While entertaining, the new "Underworld" films can be a bit tedious with all the latex & "Matrix"-style gymnastics and editing ("30 Days of Nights" was brilliant, though) and wanted to do something in the "Classic" vein, so to speak.
Started as a full color piece, about halfway through I began to wonder how it could look in black and white. Keeping that idea in the back of my mind I proceeded and finished the piece in glorious, if subdued, four color.
After a short break I removed all the color, tweaked a few areas by punching up the values and then punching up the contrast on a few others.
I was pleasantly surprised with the final result and decided to add them both to the website for a side-by-side comparison.

No comments: